From the Teacher
What a wonderful week. It was filled with school spirit and special activities We began with field day (see pictures below), had a very successful school celebration, a mystery reader, and finished our week building structures to protect a Popsicle.
Kindergarten Celebration: Thank you to everyone who attended our show. The children were so excited to perform for you and they did an amazing job. I hope you were impressed with their writing pieces and able to see their growth during the year.
Mystery Reader: Thanks to Vivian’s Dad for coming to school and reading the fun story, Dragons Love Tacos. Everyone enjoyed it. (Pictures below)
Engineering Project: As you know we have been learning and tracking the weather all year. During this week we specifically talked a lot about the sun and how we protect ourselves from the sun (hats, sunscreen, awnings, etc). Your children were then given the challenge of building a structure to protect a Popsicle from the sun. They sketched their designs and then worked with teammates on Friday to build their structure. Unfortunately it was too overcast for us to test out our buildings, but when the sun appears next week we’ll give them a try. (Pictures below)
Sight Word Testing: Children will take their final sight word test of the year sometime between Monday and Wednesday. I’ll send the recording sheets home. Please keep practicing these words during the summer so your child knows them instantly.
Animal Adventures: On Monday we will have a 1 hour presentation from Animal Adventures. Thanks to our PTO for providing the funds for our kindergartners to get up close and personal with some amazing animals.
Sense of Accomplishments Assembly: K, 1st and 2nd graders will meet with Mrs. Johnson to share their accomplishments from this year. We’ll also be performing one of our songs from the show.
Move Up Day: On Thursday your children will meet and spend a few minutes talking with the five first grade teachers. This meet and greet helps children put a face to a name and puts their minds at ease about next year.
Last Day of School: Friday, June 23rd will be an early release day (approximately 11:35) and children will be going home on the same bus they come to school on. We will be sending a form home just so we are certain of your plans. Please return to school as soon as possible.
And now, voices from the class:
- Anna: I like that during School Spirit week we can eat at any table
- Caleb: I liked running the races on field day
- Chace: We had Popsicles at the end of field day
- Claire: I liked the music playing in the cafeteria during lunch
- Duncan: I liked building the structure to protect the Popsicle today
- Hailey: I liked playing the ring toss game at field day
- Jason: We had a celebration for 10 stars and I liked the Alphabots
- Jolie: I liked when I was dancing during our Kindergarten celebration
- Lily: I liked building the Popsicle structure in the cafeteria
- Luke: I liked the picnic after our show
- Mady: I loved getting my JiJi postcard for finishing all the levels
- Megan: I liked Mr. Musselman’s experiment
- Nicholas: I liked singing ABC You Later during our celebration
- Rida: I liked making the Popsicle shelters
- Vivian: I liked when we made the Popsicle structures
Vivian and her Dad:
Engineering Project: Save the Popsicle
Field Day: A Fun Day for All