From the Teacher:
ASSEMBLY: This week we were part of a HEROES assembly at school. Kindergarten performed a song – maybe you have heard it at home – Mrs. Conlon and I are singing it in our sleep! If you haven’t heard it yet, please ask your child to sing it to you this weekend. I’ve attached a few pictures below (we were the second E in HEROES). Mrs. Johnson asked the kindergarten class for an encore performance!
MATH: We began our math assessment for unit 6 today and will finish it on Monday and then on to unit 7 and subtraction.
FUNDATIONS: We have finished with our lowercase letters. Writing lower case letters is still great practice at home. We’ll begin “tapping” out words which will help with reading and writing. This is a month-long unit of study. Look for the explanation and practice sheets on Monday.
SIGHT WORD BOOKS: The class has done a great job with the first 10 sight words. Five new words will be introduced and sent home in their books on Monday. PLEASE make sure your child has their sight word book in their folder to return to school EVERY Friday; It makes the testing and check-off so much quicker. It also gives us the time to add the new words so they are ready to go on Monday. Practicing these words each night for a few minutes is much appreciated. Thank you!
UPCOMING EVENTS: Kindergarten will be celebrating Valentine’s Day and our 100th day of school the week prior to February vacation. Look for information to be sent home next week regarding both of these “events”.
PROGRESS REPORTS: On Monday your child will be bringing home their first progress report. Please send back the blue folder, but keep the progress report. Also included will be a yellow parent response sheet for you to make any comments. Of course, if you have any questions, please let me know.
MYSTERY READERS: Thank you to everyone who has already signed up. If you want to read a story to the class, please return the form by Friday, January 27th.
Have a wonderful weekend.
And now voices from the class:
- Duncan: We earned a celebration because we got 10 stars
- Claire: We read 3 different stories called The Mitten
- Caleb: I liked the celebration when we earned 10 stars
- Vivian: I liked drawing a piggy for my mitten paper
- Nicholas: I liked singing at the HEROES assembly
- Chace: We are doing adding in math
- Megan: I liked singing the HEROES song for Mrs. Johnson
- Sisira: We sang our song today for the 1st and 2nd graders
- Luke: I liked the story that Mr. Murphy read us at library time
- Lily: I liked when I got to share my birthday poster with everyone
- Anna: I liked sharing my Hatchimos at morning meeting
- Rida: I was Forest Ranger Rida in today’s Hero show
- Mady: I liked doing the show this morning
- Xander: This week at indoor recess I liked playing with the pattern blocks